I believe everyone needs a go-to cookie recipe that’s super easy, has minimal ingredients, but tastes incredibly delicious.
I promise you, this recipe is it!
Wholesome oat goodness, decadent dark chocolate, and the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
I definitely believe in the 90/10 or 80/20 rule of enjoying healthy and occasional foods (whatever percentage works for you, your health and your goals really). It means not having a feelings of restriction or guilt around foods, and importantly it helps you foster a positive relationship with food and body image.
That being said I also love that we can make some simple swaps to create recipes that are healthier, more nourishing and certainly less processed than store bought treats.
These cookies are made with wholesome oats, which are full of B vitamins for energy and nervous system support; healthy fats from tahini and extra virgin olive oil, which support heart, hormones and skin health; and just a touch of dark chocolate, which contains magnesium to enable us to relax, and is important for muscles, bone health and digestion. I’ve also kept the sugar content low using only pure maple syrup (choose a 100% pure maple, not a maple “flavoured” syrup).
A delicious treat to be enjoyed and shared!
Salted Chocolate & Oat Cookies
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour (just rolled oats blended into a flour)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbls 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup tahini (hulled)
- 50g Dark Sea Salt Chocolate, chopped (I used Lindt but any chocolate will work. If you don’t buy sea salt choc, add a pinch of sea salt to your cookie dough mix) – for vegan: substitute for vegan chocolate
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbls Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix wet ingredients (tahini, extra virgin olive oil, 100% maple syrup) in a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Spoon 10 golf ball size scoops of the cookie dough onto the baking tray. Press each one down and shape into thick cookies (you want them to still be quite thick).
- Bake for 10-12 mins, until just golden (you want the inside to still be soft and moist).
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack before devouring!
**Note: the cookies will still be soft whilst warm so take care when transferring to the cooling rack. Once cooled they will be firm.