One of the most common requests I get for recipe ideas is healthy but quick and easy lunch ideas that are great for meal prep. I always find having a few deliciously simple salad recipes on rotation means your more likely to meal prep (salads are quick and easy with minimal prep time) and less likely to opt for a less than satisfying convenient takeaway meal.
Salad lunches need to be filling enough to power you through the afternoon (at least until a balancing afternoon snack, cos let’s face it, it’s a long time between lunch and dinner!). By combining protein from both chicken and quinoa, fibre from quinoa, beetroot and seeds, and healthy fats from the hemp and pumpkin seeds, you can be sure this recipe will start your week off on a healthy high note.
Hemp seeds are a favourite of mine to add into smoothies, salads, or sprinkled over avo toast… seriously drool! Hemp seeds are a great source of omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids, protein, iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium. I’ve used my favourite brand of hemp seeds, Hemple. These guys have been awesome enough in offering you and I 20% off all orders using my discount code ‘TRIS20‘.
Poached Chicken & Quinoa Seedy Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing (gf)
- 250g chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 60g rocket
- 100g cooked beetroot (I used Love Beets pre-cooked beetroot for convenience), chopped into quarters
- 2 tbls pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp Hemple Australian hemp seeds
- 4 tbls Cobram Estate Classic Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1-2 tsp organic honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Slice chicken breast horizontally (so it’s not too thick), then each piece in half again.
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer. Place chicken breast pieces in the water and fully submerge. Reduce heat slightly so the water is no longer simmering (a few bubbles are ok).
- Leave chicken to sit in the water for 6-9 mins, checking after 5 mins to ensure chicken isn’t over cooked.
- Remove chicken once just cooked (it should still be juicy and tender), and place in a colander. Run cold water over the chicken to cool and stop it from continuing to cook.
- Slice chicken and assemble salad in a large bowl (or serve up in 2 bowls).
- Place all dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake until well combined. Pour over salad and serve.