This nourishing, protein-packed plant-based Lentil Dahl is perfect for easy healthy mid-week meals and meatless Monday’s. Lentils are also great to incorporate regularly into any diet, particularly for vegetarians or vegans as they are a rich source of plant-based protein, providing all essential amino acids. Lentils are also packed with fiber for a healthy gut, iron for energy, and folate which our body uses for DNA replication and a very important process called methylation (to detoxify toxic homocysteine – one of the risk markers for cardiovascular disease). Lentils are one of the easiest legumes to digest, and are naturally gluten free.
I was recently fortunate enough to receive one of the new Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker and it has made cooking such a dream and saved so much time for other things!
Between juggling work, uni and life (and 5am alarms to get up for exercise), it’s sometimes hard to keep up and I know I’m not the only one. But I find it’s really important that we prioritise time to cook healthy meals to keep us nourished, energised and feeling good. I understand with our busy lifestyles that cooking mid-week after work can become a dilemma, especially as we tend to want something quick with minimal fuss that tastes good and is good for us. That’s why I’ve found this new Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker to be like the modern cooking go-to. It has 12 in 1 features including; slow cook, pressure cook, steam, saute and rice. There is even a function to make risotto, yogurt or dessert!
Not only am I incredibly excited about the variety of cooking options it offers, but I have been able to create easy, time-efficient one pot meals like this Wholesome Lentil Dahl recipe – using either the pressure cook or slow cook function. It’s easy to use with self-explanatory buttons. You simply prep, set and forget until its ready to eat!
My partner and I have also been trying out other new recipes together using the Crock-Pot® and are loving the convenience and quality of meals we can create with it. It means we can spend less time in the kitchen and more time together enjoying healthy, delicious meals.
For further info on Crock-Pot® and recipes you can create with it, check it out at http://www.crockpot.com.au/
Wholesome Lentil Dahl with Cauliflower Rice (vg/gf)
- 1 tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 300g dried split red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbls ground cumin
- 1 tbls ground turmeric
- 1 tbls ground garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock (alternatively you can use homemade bone broth for added benefits but reminder this isn’t vegan – recipe here)
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (I used broccoli chopped very small – but any veggies are great)
- 1 small cauliflower (to make cauliflower ‘rice’)
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Place Extra Virgin Olive Oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and all ground spices into a Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker. Use the ‘Brown/Saute’ function for 5 minutes until spices are aromatic and onion is slightly golden.
- Place all remaining ingredients into the same Crock-pot Express Crock Multi Cooker (excluding cauliflower and parsley which are for serving). Use the ‘slow cook’ function for 1.5 hours, or alternatively if you are short on time use the ‘pressure cook’ function for 20 minutes.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets. Steam for 3-5 minutes until slightly steamed but still crunchy. Allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor and blitz for 10 seconds until rice consistency.
- Once the lentil dahl is ready, serve up with a generous amount of cauliflower rice and top with fresh chopped parsley. A dollop of coconut yogurt or natural yogurt is also a delicious addition!