Start your day golden with a nourishing bowl of quinoa turmeric porridge. With a serve of gut-friendly probiotics from the Kefir yogurt, and a good source of protein, calcium and B vitamins to energise your day. Serve up warm or cold depending on the season.
The Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric has long history of traditionally being used in Natural Medicine as a pain reliever and to treat a number of ailments. No doubt you’ve heard all the hype boasting the health benefits and medicinal properties of turmeric.
Studies have now shown that one of the compounds in turmeric, curcumin, has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiviral, immune-modulatory and neuro-protective properties. Furthermore that curcumin may protect against a number of diseases. In my article about healing herbs and spices I also talk about the health promoting and protective benefits of turmeric.
What I love about turmeric, aside from its incredible versatility in cooking, is it’s health benefits on nourishing the gut. Turmeric relaxes smooth muscles in the gut, which may help to ease bloating, whilst it’s anti-inflammatory properties reduce gut inflammation. Turmeric also stimulates the release of bile, needed to breakdown food and digest fats.
What is Kefir Yogurt?
Kefir yogurt is a cultured milk yogurt with a sweet and slightly tart taste. It is a great source of probiotics (three times higher than regular yogurt) and a good source of calcium, B vitamins and protein. Kefir also contains the amino acid tryptophan, the precursor to serotonin, which can improve mood and sleep.
Combine turmeric with the Kefir yogurt I’ve used in this recipe, and you’ve got one incredible gut-loving breakfast!
Vegan/diary free alternative: to make this recipe vegan or dairy free, you can of course substitute the kefir yogurt for coconut milk or almond milk.
Gut-loving Golden Quinoa Porridge (gf)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 tsp Golden Grind Turmeric Latte Blend with Coconut & Cacao
- 3/4 cup Kefir yogurt (or almond or coconut milk)
- Toppings – I used 1/4 pear, strawberries, coconut and a few chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp honey (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions (typically 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer for approx. 15 mins until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked through. Fluff with a fork & let sit covered for 10 mins).
- Pour yogurt or milk into a bowl and stir through Golden Grind Turmeric Blend.
- Add quinoa (either warm or cold depending on your preference) and mix through.
- Top with toppings and sweeten with a touch of honey if desired.