Pumpkin soup is such an Autumn (or any time of year!) favourite. It’s quick, easy and nourishing and provides powerful antioxidants. The added carrot, ginger and Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil not only give it a refreshing taste, but add some great health benefits and aid liver cleansing and detox. Pumpkin soup is perfect for a light meal or entrée. If I’m having this as a main meal, I sometimes fill it out with a serve of shredded chicken and top with pumpkin seeds for a protein hit and a well balanced meal.
Health benefits of this Cleansing Pumpkin, Carrot & Ginger Soup:
Pumpkin and carrot are high sources of beta-carotene (which converts to the fat-soluble vitamin A in the body). Vitamin A is vital for a strong immune system, vision and eye health, and healthy skin and mucous membranes. Pumpkin and carrot also provide gut-friendly fibre, which helps eliminate toxins (detox).
To be able to absorb fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A, E, D and K, we need to eat healthy fats with our meals, which is why I’ve added heart friendly Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I used Cobram Estate Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my pumpkin soup. I’m always very particular about using the healthiest high-quality extra virgin olive oil in my meals, which provide powerful health promoting antioxidants unique to olives. You can read more about the researched health benefits of Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil here. The olive oil will also help with the production of bile, which is essential for eliminating toxins.
Ginger, garlic, cinnamon and turmeric are all powerful anti-inflammatories and antioxidants. Ginger assists with digestion, reduces nausea and fights colds and flu. I’ve added cinnamon which improves insulin sensitivity and lowers blood sugar levels.
Pumpkin seeds pump up the protein content and provide zinc for healthy immune function, the amino acid tryptophan which makes serotonin (our happy hormone), as well as iron, magnesium, copper and manganese.
Cleansing Pumpkin, Carrot & Ginger Soup (gf/vg/df)
- 1kg Kent pumpkin, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4cm knob fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 litre water
- 2 tbls Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Sea salt & black cracked pepper to season
- Fresh parsley & pumpkin seeds, to serve
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger with the olive oil on low-medium heat for a 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add in chopped pumpkin and carrot, turmeric and cumin and sauté for a further 8 minutes.
- Add in water, turn up the heat and bring to a gentle boil. Cover with a lid and gently boil for 10 minutes until pumpkin and carrot have softened and cooked through.
- Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth (depending on size, you may have to blend in batches).
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve up with fresh parsley, pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil.