It’s hump day, Melbourne’s weather is all drizzly and overcast, and all I want to do is curl up in bed in an over-sized tee and underwear with a cup of green tea and a huge warm slice of delicious healthy banana berry breakfast loaf smothered in melted organic grass-fed butter…
I’m a little in love with this breakfast loaf. It’s kind of a banana bread with a wal-nutty, turmeric, berry twist. It tastes a little like a warming bowl of granola oats, it’s soft, moist and mildy sweet without being overly so. Eat it alone or top it sweet or savoury with yogurt and fruit or butter or avocado.
And the best part – it’s packed with nourishing anti-inflammatory, superfood, nutrient dense ingredients, it higher protein than a usual bread or loaf and it’s gluten free, so you can feel good about tucking into a guilt-free slice.
Make it this Sunday and enjoy a sleep in, rest & recovery.
Healthy Banana Berry Breakfast Loaf with Granola Topping
- 100 g / 1 cup walnuts
- 85 g /1 cup rolled oats (use gluten free if intolerant)
- 90 g / 2/3 cup buckwheat flour + 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- a pinch black pepper
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup natural greek yogurt
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup olive oil or butter
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 large eggs (or for vegan use 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 9 tbsp water)
- A large handful blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a loaf tin (I find silicone the best) with baking paper or grease with oil or butter.
- Add walnuts and rolled oats to a food processor or blender and mix quickly into a coarse flour.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl together with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add yogurt, oil/butter, bananas and maple syrup to the food processor or blender and mix until smooth. Then transfer to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and beat them for about a minute before adding them as well.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold everything until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin, scatter a bunch of blueberries over the top and gently push them down a bit.
- Mix together the granola crumble in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until golden. Allow to cool before slicing.